Getting a New Business License in Atlanta
So you’ve decided to bring your new business idea to the state of Georgia, one of the friendliest states in the country for budding entrepreneurs. Now, it’s time to take the next step by applying for an Atlanta business license. In this post, we’ll answer your basic questions, including:
- “What Should I do Before Applying for my license?”
- “How to apply for a new business license in Atlanta?”
- “What is the cost of a small business license?”
- “How long does it take to get an Atlanta business license?”
We know your time is valuable, so let’s jump in and explore these answers so you can get back to business.
Q: What Should I do Before Applying for my Business License?
A: Understandably, you’re probably excited to get your new company off the ground right away. However, before you apply for your business license, make sure you’ve completed the following:
- New Business License Application: Completely filled out and signed
- E-Verify Affidavit: Notarized
- SAVE Affidavit: Notarized
- Government Issued ID: Extra copy on hand
- Necessary Regulatory Permits: Acquired from appropriate agencies
- Federal Employer ID Number: Attained from irs.gov
- Georgia Taxpayer ID Number: Attained from the Georgia Department of Revenue
- Secretary of State Control Number: Attained by filing with the Corporations Division of the Office of Secretary of State
Q: How do I Apply for a New Business License in Atlanta?
A: Applying for a business license in Atlanta is similar to applying for a business license in many other cities – it is a multi-step process. Here’s an overview:
- Step 1: Complete a New Business Tax Application, SAVE and E-Verify Affidavits, and provide a copy of a government-issued ID.
- Step 2: Your application will go to the Office of Zoning to confirm that a business can exist in your desired location.
- Step 3: Pending approval from the Office of Zoning, you’ll receive an invoice detailing your payment options.
- Step 4: After you submit your full payment, your new Atlanta business license will be mailed to the address you specified during application.
Q: What is the Cost of Applying for a Small Business License in Georgia?
A: The cost of submitting your business license application includes a $75 non-refundable registration fee and a $50 non-refundable zoning review fee. Money orders and cashier’s checks are accepted, but personal checks are not.
Q: How Long does it Take to Get an Atlanta Business License?
A: Depending on what type of business license you want, it can take anywhere from a few days to a few months for the state to process your application. This is why it’s important to make sure you follow the steps exactly and complete all the required paperwork before submitting your application. Starting a new business is costly no matter where you do it, and unexpected delays can eat into your bottom line.
Got Your Business License? Now Get Set Up for Credit Card & Online Payments
Electronic Merchant Systems, located near the Perimeter at 5775 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd STE D160, offers everything you need to accept credit card, online and smart phone payments at your store or on-the-go with EMS Mobile. Swing by our Atlanta EMS offices for more information about how we can help your business succeed in Atlanta and the surrounding communities. Or, fill out our form, and a friendly representative will be in touch soon.